Decision Maker: Director for Families and Communities
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
Staffordshire’s Community Managed
Libraries have 5-year contract and lease agreements with
Staffordshire County Council which can be renewed for a further 5
years with a further option to extend for 5 years. The option to
renew is included within the original leases and this was specified
as part of the procurement process.
The first contracts and leases can be extended from April 2021.
On 19 February 2020, Cabinet endorsed and agreed a further support package for the community managed library model which will enable the sustainability of the Community Managed Libraries and support their work within communities.
There are 27 Community Managed Libraries that form part of Staffordshire’s statutory library network. In 2019, Werrington Community Managed Library was issued new contracting terms as part of a successful bid to The Big Lottery. Therefore, Werrington Community Managed Library is not included within this paper.
The renewal dates for the 26 Community Managed Libraries within the scope of this decision are as follows:
Community Managed Library Partner
Organisation Contract Renewal Date
1. Barton Midlands Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (MPFT) 25 April 2021
2. Baswich MPFT 16 May 2021
3. Rising Brook Rising Brook Baptist Church 26 May 2021
4. Blythe Bridge Care and Fun Club 27 May 2021
5. Holmcroft MPFT 29 May 2021
6. Norton Canes MPFT 5 June 2021
7. Brewood MPFT 13 June 2021
8. Glascote MPFT 19 June 2021
9. Heath Hayes MPFT 27 June 2021
10. Hednesford MPFT 4 July 2021
11. Kinver Kinver Community Library Limited 3 January 2022
12. Silverdale Business Enterprise Support 3 January 2022
13. Audley Audley Resource and Information Centre 13 February 2022
14. Shenstone Shenstone Community Library Organisation 27 March 2022
15. Great Wyrley Catherine Care 6 September 2022
16. Knutton Knutton St Mary’s Primary School 10 October 2022
17. Loggerheads Loggerheads Community Information Centre 10 October 2022
18. Wilnecote The Wilnecote School 27 March 2023
19. Brereton Rotary Club of Rugeley 3 April 2023
20. Talke Kidsgrove Care Solutions 11 April 2024
21. Gnosall Gnosall Library, Environment & Nurture Hub (GLEAN) 20 April 2024
22. Clayton Business Enterprise Support 1 July 2024
23. Cheadle The Cheadle Community Information and Resource Group 12 July 2024
24 Cheslyn Hay Rotary Club of Bloxwich Phoenix 29 July 2024
25. Eccleshall Rotary Club of Eccleshall Mercia 6 August 2024
26 Penkridge Penkridge Parish Council 12 August 2024
To agree an extension to the Phase 1 Community
Managed Library Contracts and Leases for a further 5 year term with
an option to extend for a further 5-years, and make any necessary
variations to the terms of the contracts and leases.
Option 1 - The success of the community
managed library model is attributed to the vision of the Community
Managed Library organisations; the commitment and enthusiasm of the
volunteers and the high level of support provided by the County
Council who have built genuine relationships with each
Establishing the Community Managed Library model has required time, ongoing support for organisations and volunteers from the Community Capacity Manager and Community Support Officers and financial assistance from the Library Service, Strategic Property and Staffordshire ICT.
During 2021 the first set of contracts and leases can be extended. Cabinet agreed in February 2020 that the County Council would continue to provide the agreed support package for a further 5 year period as detailed below:
a. Continued support from the Library Service – professional guidance, expertise, library stock and sundries (including photocopier lease costs and telephone charges)
b. Continued provision of ICT which will be reviewed annually in line with Staffordshire Managed Libraries.
c. Continued support from Strategic Property which will include ongoing maintenance and cleaning of the library building. Utility costs will be reviewed and may remain at the same level; grounds maintenance will be reviewed on an individual basis and CMLs with charitable status will be required to claim back the 80% business rate rebate that they are entitled to.
To ensure the continued success of the County Council’s Community Managed Library model, ongoing support and investment is essential.
Extending the phase 1 Community Managed Library contracts and leases for a further 5-year term with an option to extend for 5-years underlines the County Council’s commitment to the Community Managed Library model.
Publication date: 18/02/2021
Date of decision: 01/01/2021