Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Quarterly Performance Report provides an
overview of Staffordshire County Council’s performance and
highlights the progress we are making in delivering our three
priority outcomes focused upon ensuring:
• The people of Staffordshire will be able to access more good jobs and feel the benefits of economic growth
• The people of Staffordshire will be healthier and more independent
• The people of Staffordshire will feel safer, happier and more supported in and by their community
The report also provides an update on our continuing drive to be a well-run council, including the financial position of the county council and delivery of the Medium Term Financial Strategy.
“We have seen a good start to this financial year with a continued drive to create more and better paid jobs and ensure Staffordshire residents are happier, healthier and more prosperous. We are seeing continued near full employment in the county, with more development taking place at i54 South Staffordshire and Kingswood Lakeside. This is in addition to the support we have put in place for smaller businesses and we have recently launched our Rural Enterprise Programme. This will lead to vacant buildings across the county being converted for productive use. Over the last three months we have also been encouraged to see a decrease in the number of children who are subject to a child protection plan.”
Philip Atkins, Leader of the County Council.
“Over the first quarter of the year we have managed to reduce the county council overspend to £8.9 million from £9.4 million, which represents just 1.9 per cent of our overall budget. This is mainly due to the pressures relating to the Better Care Fund and the cost of social care, which is a national issue. We remain confident in our ability to manage these financial challenges effectively.”
Ian Parry, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Strategy, Finance and Corporate Issues
Reasons for the Decision – To provide Cabinet with an overview of the county council’s performance (including the delivery of the Medium Term Financial Strategy) and the progress being made in delivering the three priority outcomes –
· The people of Staffordshire will be able to access more good jobs and feel the benefits of economic growth.
· The people of Staffordshire will be healthier and more independent.
· The people of Staffordshire will feel safer, happier and more supported in and by their Community.
Decision – That the report be received.
Report author: Lauren McMahon
Publication date: 20/07/2017
Date of decision: 19/07/2017
Decided at meeting: 19/07/2017 - Cabinet
Effective from: 26/07/2017